VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer (ALB) provides advance load balancing capabilities for different kinds of workload including Cloud Native Applications. It comes in different flavours but in this post, I will be talking specifically about “Essential” edition that is bundled as part of Tanzu Basic and Standard editions.
Starting from Avi Vantage release 20.1.2, VMware NSX ALB essentials for Tanzu edition is available. NSX ALB essentials for Tanzu has been introduced to provide Layer 4 load balancing services for Tanzu Basic and Standard editions. However, with Tanzu Advanced edition, you get NSX ALB Advanced too.
Couple of points to note:
- NSX ALB essentials for Tanzu is not a SKU and is not saleable.
- NSX ALB essentials for Tanzu does not require any licenses to be used.
VMware Tanzu customer with active entitlements for Tanzu Basic or Standard SKUs is eligible to use VMware NSX ALB essentials for Tanzu. When the Avi Controller is in the essentials edition, any number of Service Engines can be used, without requirements for any license, but support requires an active support entitlement for Tanzu Basic or Standard.
Note: In this post, I will be covering generic points not the install and configure and it will be covered in the later posts.
Where to download the NSX ALB Essential Binaries for Installation
– Navigate to the below url
– Click on the GO TO Downloads option as highlighed below.
– It will redirect you to the customer connect site, Login there with your id and you will be land up on the below page.
– You can see several versions available, but you need to download the one that is supported by Tanzu Basic or Standard edition. Note: NSX ALB binary is same for even Advanced edition and there will be features restrictions based on the license applied.
Validating Applied NSX ALB License
Let’s look at the steps to validate the NSX ALB license applied to the deployed ALB instance.
– Login to the NSX ALB GUI using admin credentials.
– Click on Administration
– Go to Settings -> Licensing and you will see the applied license. In this case it’s Essential license.
For More Information, Refer the AVI official documentation.
If you are planning to install ALB for VMware Tanzu, Refer the official documentation and I will be writing a blog on this later too.